Friday, September 26, 2008

The Volunteer

“Madam”

Madam! Oh really! When did I become that? I don’t feel even a day older than when I was in high school, and, Madam!

“Madam”

“Yes?”

“Madam you see this machine is not going to give you any complain at all. Am not speaking like a sales person. This is from the experience of our customers; I can give you references to check it out if you want.”

“Yes, that would be fine”

Oh, common! It’s just a piece of machine and I already have the guidelines for the kind of machine to be purchased. Now I will go in for the cheapest one, of the required specifications. Warranty, service station and other blah blahs? Do you think that I would even call you to quote, if you don’t meet all these blah blah requirements? Did you take me for a fool? Oh! Now there is a reason for why am called Madam. Hm…

That was the first time I met him…and the many meetings until the official transaction was over.

One fine day he came and pulled up a chair to sit near me.

“Today’s visit is not official, it’s completely personal. Will you be having the time to talk?”

(“Madam” is missing today!!!!!!!!!!!)

Now what does he want from me?!

“You see am a volunteer in this organization. I did their course and it was beneficial for me. I wanted others also to get the same benefit, hence am volunteering now.”

Well alright, marketing gimmick. How many firms do you work for! Leave the brochure on my desk and I will throw it right into the waste basket as soon as you turn your back.

“Ok, I will read it and let you know if am interested. Thank you.”

...............................................

“So………?”

“Oh! I did not get time to look at it. You know this meeting, how important it is. I have to make sure all the movers and shakers in the City come. That’s a lot of work. Hope you understand.”

“No problem, there is time.”

...............................................

“Decided?”

“That brochure you gave that day, right? I think I misplaced it somewhere.”

“Its on next week. I can come down and give you another copy.”

“Its ok, may be next time”

.................................................

“You have ten minutes to spare now? Please read through this. I am waiting right here.”

“Oh, Ok. This is the fee for the whole program? Ok Take this. I will read it later.”

“Don’t forget, Day after tomorrow at 6pm”

At last I have got rid of him!

Marketing Executives - Pests.

Day after at 6pm, a “meeting” can easily “come up”!

I glanced at the brochure. A guy with long white beard on it, another God-man! As if am going to attend!

.............................

Came that day, and I get a call in the morning...... 6pm, I will see you there.


Not much work today. Why not just go there and check it out?


I walked into this serene atmosphere with a mix of incense.....


Madam............. to not madam................. to akka...............................

And now……..

“This is from my personal side, not official. I did their course and it was beneficial for me. I wanted others also to get the same benefit, hence am volunteering now.”

*****

1 comment:

Bnu said...

hi frnd

write well
really good

-bnu-